Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Moving in on Nanowrimo

Between blogging on my writing group's blog and writing for Examiner.com, I don't have a lot of extra words left for my personal outlet here, so I'll just write a bit today about what I've been doing.

My goal is to finish my middle grade novel this month, because I want the first draft done and able to gel awhile while I'm knocking out a Nano-novel in November. With that in mind, I'm trying to put out at least 1000 words a day. It's coming along. Some days I don't quite make it, and some days I do extra. From this week on, I'm going to try to push it up and make sure I finish. I'm already over 17,000 words, so I'm almost halfway, I think.

I'm also compiling note cards with scenes of two more books. One is a sequel to my pirates book, mentioned above. I was thinking about how authors sometimes are asked to sign multiple book deals and considering how difficult I would find this to commit to. As I let my mind wander (I always do this while I'm getting ready in the morning) I had an idea for a possible sequel. It sounded even better than the first book, so I started working on scene cards during my daydreaming sessions. Scene cards are great because they allow me to go further ahead in the future of my characters actions than I can without them. The second group of scene cards are for a book I've been considering for almost two years. I think I've finally hit on a plot thread that can take me through the book, and I might try it out during Nanowrimo if I can get prepared in time.

Finally, I'm still trying to get a few Examiner.com articles out each week. This is a little harder, because they count and you have to make them good, not just first drafts. Someone actually reads them, as far as the stats show.

Also, I'm reading a lot right now: Uncle Tom's Cabin, Great Expectations, and multiple children's books as fast as I can for reviews.

So if you're out there, reading this, and you're a writer, what are you working on right now? If you're a reader, what are you reading?

No comments:

Post a Comment